Monday, March 27, 2006

Interrogated, Stuffinated, and Fatigue..ated

gaaahhhoooowww my fucking lippp! Canker sore folks. Hurts like a bitch, a bitch with a large serated and rusted skiv in her face! Damn cursèd genetics!

So yesterday, after pummeling the barn with the soccer ball in the pre-spring weather, I went to the Mandarin to celebrate my mother's birthday. I unforgivingly stuffed myself full of three plates of rice, beef, lemon chicken, torpedo shrimp, and various other deep fried delicacies. To top it all off, I had two waffles lathered in whipped cream, strawberry sauce, m&m's, orange sherbet, orange jello, sprinkles....and gah.. soo good, but so Buddhaliciously full. I'm pretty sure just the process of digestion of all that protein and fat absconded with all my remaining energy, cause I was out of it. So tired that I fell asleep through the chase scene in Italian Job! at like 11:00pm! that's like morning for me! Yeha, so I'm just kind of waking up from that.

So I suppose you want to know how my interview went at York (well some of you at least). Well, first of all - the peeps I met who were getting interviewed are quite the awesomecool bunch. This cool guy Stephan got sponsors for his half-hour crime film, and actually recognized and respected some of the rare electronic bands I mentioned. Another dude made some sort of a chase sequence on his bike with a Super 8 camera he bought, then converted it over to digital and edited it all nice and crisply. There was a girl some pretty crazy-good photography there, another really REALLY hot chick with a large painting of teeth and dirty braces, and also a few more hot chicks here and thither as well! Gosh darnit I hope I get in.

OK! so onto the interview bit - well, I was nervous as a small chiuahuah strapped to a helicopter blade - literally shaking and quaking. There was a large pasty manstudent, an older grey-haired pro-guy, and a horn rimmed glasses wearing women who seemed to be "one" with the avant-garde art scene. They started off by asking me "why do you want to study film at York?" - and I blabbered on about the sheer plethora of options available, of creative people to collaborate with, and also how York treats film more as art rather than cinematography/cameratech's R us technologica. The fat guy asked me a real toughie: "When you graduate, how do you hope to come out the program as a person?" - I wanted to blurt "How the fuck would I know!?", instead I staggered Jasper Dale style (ala Road To Avonlea) "uh um uh ummmmmm cause.. well.. gasp.. shit.. uhhh.. I want to be more experienced, more mature I guess.. and be prepped for the real world of filmmaking I guess.." - at this point I was going mondo-chiuahuah on their asses. They also asked "what film or piece of art has moved you recently?" - I should've responded with "the film Crash, because of it's strong dramatic scenes dealing with issues with prejudice, racism, and blah blah blah" - instead I said "uhhh.. City Of God.. because of this scene where this guy shot a kid blah blah blah" - so yeah, I guess it was a semi-alright spontaneous answer. They also asked me about what other films I've done, and I should've talked to them about my role as the production assistant with the professional company Dalsa - BUT NO! it skipped my mind like calculus problems amidst scantily clad women on television. But I talked about my flick Dreamentia and shit like that, and they seemed poker-face-interested.

Then I showed them my trippy kaleidoscopic experimental flick "Displaced". I was too afraid to look at their faces for their possible negative reactions, so I just glared at the screen - but I did glance back and see the guy write notes on his clipboard every time something got really experimental and cool in my movie. Hopefully they were positive comments. I also gave them some photoshopped-up artwork and photography, which they seemed to salivate on with glee. Oh yes, and I gave them a cool script idea, which I will post right after this paragraph. Ok this is what they read:

Short Film Idea "Coma"
By: James Harris

opening shot of a car window with the reflection of the moon in the corner - inside there is a young boy, slowly drifting off to sleep...

Narration: If I were to be stuck in a perpetual coma, for all eternity, to experience one looping memory - it wouldn't be christmas time. It wouldn't be first kisses, it wouldn't be sex, it wouldn't be a feast. It would be slipping away the night in the back seat of a car, on a long drive home. The comfortable security of being transported home by one's guardian, and the soporific sounds of the endless road.

fade to black

Narration (muttering under breath): Pillow's.. too.. rocky now..

[SHOT of James sleeping on craggy rock]

But the mind strays from its user, it likes to think it has its own personality. I used to think it did.

{SHOT with Narration - Slipping near edge of cave}

cut to Shot of James lying down at bottom of cave - zoom in slowly on face.

Narration: Ever since I fell... I mean ever since I've fallen.. I.. can't seem to grasp the steering wheel on this unpredictable vehicle. Just go with the flow my eyes tell me.

[Shot of James walking down winter road - looking back and forth]

Narration: it's uncertain.. but I know its there. It watches me on high when I'm down low, and not one single eye in the back of my head can catch a glimpse. On the universal spectrum of outcomes, I hope to land my spot somewhere in the middle of it all.

[cross dissolve to - james climbing hillside]

Narration: The trees yawn. To my surprise the clouds are frozen solid. Brittle as my veins in three or four hours. Trudge on I tell myself. Trudge on, because onwards is better than backwards. I've been back too many times. I don't understand what time is anymore. Just stop looking back.

[cut to shot of James looking back - cut to shot of scenery slowly dissapearing]

Narration: On the ramps of life, we never know how fast we'll take off, and where, and IF.. we'll land.

[cut to shot of James holding bb gun hiding under bush - he sees himself in the scope - he shoots - cut to james falling in cave]

Narration: The caverns call my name.

[montage of falling backwards and forwards]

Narration: I slip. But I get back up. I fall, and I fall, but I live. Just a lone particle reacting to magnetic forces in an untamed horizon.

Two more steps now.

I'm in.

[shot of footstep in cave - wipe to white]

I awake, not to find myself buried in a snow angel I've made countless times, but up in a tree, a marionette for squirrels.

[upwards panning shot of James in tree]

Back to the caves. The probability of awakening to the days of my first decent, is.. nauseatingly low. But still I try. THe snow is thicker now, biting at the lines of skin between my wet socks and the rim of my trousers. But pain is just hypnosis. Move on traveller.

[multiple artistic shots of James staggering about in thick snow]

Descent number 236.. or 457? or 3034? I can no longer hold a thought for longer than an hour at most.

[shot of just James' eyes]

Descartes once concluded that he thought, therefore he was. He existed because he was aware that he existed. I think, therefore I will be. Because from what I've gathered, conciousness is just a mirage. Dreams are just imaginative movies in the cinema of our improbable minds. Still I enter the cave.

[montage of dreamlike images - cut to cave shooting out beams of light]

The infinite winter, the perpetual cold. Has hell frozen over after all? Or is this the ice age that the human race has been daunting to experience for ages?

[reverse shot of icicles melting]

What visions are these? Am I finally being taken away? I succumb to the ride.

[jump in and out to images of the ceiling of a hospital and the winter sky, and then the hand of a nurse]

to be continued..

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

COPYRIGHT JAMES HARRIS 2006 - NE TOUCHE PAS!

ahem, s'yeah - I think they digged it. I also left them my only copy of my cd "Twenty One" - and they were like "oh snapdiggity!" - so lest we hope they listen and orgasmate with glee.

So I shook their hands, thanked them profusely, and then left. Had some Wendy's for lunch, had a conversation about hormonal changes in people with my dad (which was relatively awkward), annnnnd yeah listened to Herbie Hancock on the way back. It was fun.

I find out about the York gig in about three weeks (mid aprilish), so cross your toes nice and tight for me!

Now.. to go and splurge on some treeplanting gear which will most likely get destroyed by the end of it all!

peace out holmes,

(yeah that's right Tom Cruise, I'm talkin Katie)

~ J-aims for the top- Har-de har har-ris ~

p.s. (Godfather the game is the SHIT!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home