Thursday, February 23, 2006

Fear and Loathing in Prince George, B.C.

My mind is wandering through a desert of curiosity and confusion, searching for that fleeting mirage of resolution. The week thus far has not gone as I had expected - something continuously restrains me from any form of productivity, and the pyjamas stay on longer. With a steady diet of costco pizzas, chicken fingers, and other processed frozen delicacies, I've brinked on the point of mild lethargy. I feel like I'm constantly being frowned upon by invisible faces - "JAMES! GO GET A FUCKIN' JOB!" or perhaps "WORK ON YOUR DAMNED APPLICATIONS!". They should invent invisible face swatters.

Apart from this emotionally limbo state of mind I have adopted, I have made some good and bad decisions this week. Good Decision: I phoned the foreman who queried me via email for an interview. He agreed to an interview right then and there, and so like a chipper plastic-smiled mailman I answered each of his questions how he wanted them to be answered. In turn, I got the job. Good/Bad Decision? time will tell. I'm usually not the type to self-induce three months worth of pain on myself to sculpt an "experience", yet I feel like going with the wind with this one. The notion of camping out in the middle of northern B.C. with a bunch of stronger more distinguished hippy university kids, and sharing the same dining hall with them, and getting up each morning at 4:30 to head off and break my back in the great wilderness.. is insane, yes I know. But, my sister biked across the damn country and has done crazier things, so I figure I could handle digging holes all day. It's not so much about the money - it's about the adventure, the sheer unforgiving fear of going off and doing something completely new and unusual. If I manage to last the first month without going berserk, I should hope to bring back atleast $5000 worth of profit. I'll also still have half the summer to do whatever I want.

Enough about that.. I had a party here. It was fun, messy, and at times slightly awkward. My german neighbour surprisingly attended after my telephone invitation, and in my drunken stupor I spouted out all the knowledge of anything German that I knew about, in order to possibly strike a somewhat interesting conversation. She didn't reciprocate much with chatter, although I can hardly blame her - being surrounded by loud and bombastic party animals launching arrays of bottle caps in the air.

I downloaded the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas soundtrack, and it has been on heavy rotation on this here itunes. Simply a brilliant film, brilliant soundtrack, and excellent book from what I here. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys weird highly artistic filmmaking, and/or Hunter S. Thompson. It will go up on my mental chart of favourite flicks.

So that's about all I can mutter about at this late hour, I hope my splayed thoughts have entertained you in some form or another.

I bid you adieu.

Senôr Jameso

p.s. (I can't believe I'm going fucking treeplanting.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home