So I've had this problem, it's a little cosmetic and at first for me it was no biggy. Basically, it started a while back about 3 years ago when I was fifteen, when I started to notice these odd little permanent "goosebumps" showing up on my arms and thighs, and a little on my chest. I shrugged it off, thinking it was nothing to worry about. Then, it began to expand further down my arms, and more and more of these bumps were appearing on my thighs - except they were a little reddish. Eventually, they slowly began appearing on my face, yet they were and are barely noticeable - my skin is just a little bumpier and funkier than others. I assumed that this spontaneous "bumpy skin" was simply a genetic disorder - for my dad also has very coarse bumpy skin. The bumps then started developing into bigger nastier bumps on my thighs, sort of like acne, and it doesn't go away - it only intensifies after I take a shower or something like that. I've ignored it for a while and have learned to live with it, because not too many people go starin' at your thighs every so often. Then, about last year, I noticed that my cheeks would flare up at any given moment.. just completely out of the blue.. I'd go beat red, and if I thought about it - it'd just make me embarassed and it would not diminish, unless I was alone and splashed some cold water in my face. This has progressively gotten worse, and I kept bashing myself for being too "easily embarassed" or having anxiety problems - basically, I just thought I blushed a fucking lot because I was becoming too "conscientious" of what other people thought of myself, vain in otherwords. Yet, just recently I was searching around on the internet, trying to determine the cause of my random cheek flushing and goose-like skin, and I found multiple results (after googling the symptoms "bumpy skin, blushing" etc. etc.) with the title "Keratosis Pilaris". So I checked out some sites - like medical encyclopedias:
Keratosis Pilaris, and forums and shit, and eventually I came upon the realisation, that I was indeed suffering from this Keratosis crap. Apparently, it is not uncommon for people to get - something like 40% of all people, and that it is usually passed on genetically (which would explain the similar bumpy skin which my dad has). I also found out that one of the types of the Keratosis Pilaris is "Keratosis Pilaris Rubra Faceii" which is Keratosis pilaris rubra faceii is "characterized by redness (erythema) and the presence of rough bumps (follicular spines) which may begin at birth, or during childhood or adolescence." - or the "flushed" appearance on cheeks - here's a site with a pic:
Keratosis Pilaris Rubra Faceii and a whole site on it:
Help For KP.com. They say there is no cure, only like crazy treatments - be it drinking a shit load of carrot juice, eating lotsa vitamin a, all sorts of creams and shit, and even tanning. I feel better knowing that my consistent blushing isn't caused by psychological difficulties, and I think I might hit up a dermatologist and see what he/she has to say. It's just been getting worse, my face is always burning hot, and it looks like I got bitch slapped about a hundred times only on my cheeks - at random times. I guess I'm just worried about my interview with York, because my entire personality changes when I know that I have the bitch-slapped look, and I become incredibly nervous (which would make them think, hmmm.. if he can't even get through an interview with us, how the hell will he manage in the real world?). Maybe I'm being a little self-concious or drastic.. or maybe obsessive compulsive.. but I can't help it.
anyway, I thought after making that revelation I'd finally get the problem off my chest.. err face lol.
In other news, I went to the York Campus Fall Day, checked out the campus, the fine arts building and the film facilities (complete with mac g5's.. drooolll), annnnd damn I wants to go. Like right now. I also watched a humorous student film they showed which won a bunch of awards, called "The School", about this cursed school where all the classroom pets, and even classmates, die from unfortunate circumstances. It was a bit of dark comedy film, but man it was hilarious - and quite well done.
I'll tell you more about that later on.. but for now I'm a wee bit tired, so I shall bid you all adieu.
Cheers,
J-mildly concerned, highly excited.
1 Comments:
I know what you mean about the redness in the face/boiling up in the face. I get that all the time, especially when I drink alcohol, or, of course, when I'm nervous. Must be a Harris thing cause it happens to both of us more than normal i think
Post a Comment
<< Home